Saturday, November 17, 2012

Strawberry and Green Grapes Seedlings

I went to farmer's market Pasar Tani Bangi Seksyen 1 for my weekly routine of buying fresh vegetables, fish and chicken meat. To my surprise, I found a small stall selling strawberry and green grape seedlings, among others. I have been searching for these two plants seedlings for quite sometimes. They are not very common in Malaysia because of its hot climate except at some cooler highlands such as in Cameron Highland. As for grapes, through internet search, I found some farms in the northern part of Peninsular Malaysia such as in Perlis state and in Lumut that have successfully cultivated the fruits. I also found thatit is becoming more common for grapes to be planted ib many homes in Malaysia, especially at home as decorative plants, not necessarily at highlands but almost any locatiob in Malaysia provided proper facilities and care.

So, without thinking too much, I grabbed the plants and paid RM15 for the grape and RM11 for the strawberry plant after some negotiation with the seller. I also managed to get the phone number of the seller, a middle-aged man, who said that he planted the grapes at his house as hobby. He also gave me some tips on how to care for the plants and how to ensure the grape fruits become sweet.

Green grapes:



After planting + frame:

 

Strawberry (already bears fruits!):

No comments:

Post a Comment